Information for Providers
What a FSP is expected to do
- Provide a formalised complaints handling process which is easy to access and which all staff should be aware of. The process should be appropriate to the size of the organisation
- Nominate a senior member of staff responsible for ensuring that the complaints handling process works in a fair and proper manner.
- When a complaint is received it should be dealt with expeditiously.
- The Complainant must also be informed that he/she has a right to complain to the Ombudsman- terms of business letter to outline this.
- Take all reasonable steps to resolve the matter before it is referred to the Ombudsman.
- Keep robust records to memorialise the Complainants handling process.
- Compliance officer’s role is of particular importance.
- The Complaints handling procedure is a senior level responsibility but all staff should be aware of and operate it.
- The Ombudsman is a last resort for a complainant.